Thursday 20 November 2008

The Chinese Experience

Yesterday evening after leaving work I was wondering where to go for food, I was far too tired to cook anything, and eventually to go to the supermarket to get food to cook, therefore had only the choice to get dinner from somewhere else.
Coming from the University heading home, for those who dont know I have a few choices although they are not that many, I have tried them all, some are good, others are ok and there are still the ones one can't taste (e.g. Popa Pizza.. the worst Pizza ever! I can hardly believe that such a pizza can be done and sold)..
Well carrying on my adventure yesterday I had the idea of going to the Really Chinese restaurant. There are two Chinese restaurants in Beeston, one is for everyone and the other is for the Chinese people (and other Chinese-like people). I noticed this restaurant a while ago when walking around the centre of Beeston (which is the capital of the world on Saturdays.. I wonder how can such a small place become so busy on Saturdays.. ok, fair enough, there's a lot of shops and some are quite ok, for food).. Back on the Chinese thing I noticed a panel placed on the middle of Beeston high road but all written in chinese with an arrow pointing inside a building, very dodgy at the first sight. One day I decided to take the risk and went there; At first everyone was asian inside but the waiter managed to find an english menu and I decided through a fairly occidental meal which as very good indeed! That restaurant stayed in my mind as a good one and went there another time, the second. That wasnt so good, but still alright. The third time I went there I risked a bit more and went for something I didn’t know and the disappointment arose. Anyway, any experience before wasnt as remarkably bad as the one from yesterday...What the hell came to mind I still dont know but as a matter of fact I went to that restaurant yesterday and because before I saw people having a sort of a fondue but with chinese stuff, I thought I could have that too! Who doesn’t love fondue? Meat fondue, cheese fondue, chocolate fondue, there are all so yummy!! But forget about Chinese fondue... I cannot really explain by words how bad it is. If you have some spare 13 pounds and want to try, go there but dont tell I didnt advise yoU!

The following photos were taken in the end (after trying up everything and getting very sick), but you can have an idea, lets comment on them:


FIRST: here you are the sauces.. well they would just make the things a lot worse. Tastes varied amongst a sandy flavour, one spicy kind of and a water where someone boiled some onions before...



Second: this shows the only occidental piece of thing present on that dinner.. A pint of coke served in a Stella Artois glass.

Third: Here you have a plan of the table. In the middle, there is sort of a soup which is the fondue pot. It contains water with some unflavoured vegetables.. Very disgusting and next to it you can find the sides.. some sort of noodles plus sea weed, other sort of horrible vegetables and a very strange meat that looks like very thinly sliced Parma ham but tastes like shit.


That was my face doing the effort to eat something. It was a bit of a shame to leave mostly everything uneaten. Couldn’t manage it, I lost my appetite just as soon as I started. All the taste and smells were horrifying..



OK, this is the mess! Basically you would drop everything inside this witch pot and fish it with a little basket.. look at the picture. How disgusting is that?

Finally a few more of the raw food ready to boil inside the witch pot.. arrrgghhh




This was "the plate", because you are meant to eat from the bowel, basically drop everything there mix and eat and no more questions please.. There is no place for discarding anything like the edge of the plate.. eat everything now!!


Hope I didnt ruin your apetite ;)

No comments: