Monday 3 November 2008

And this is like the icing on the cake!

And just because "there is not one without two and two without three" in a proverb inspired post I am posting my third post of today!
Proverb wise I just recalled that today I had to attend for a workshop in Designing research and statistics since my PhD course/school requires me to attend some sort of PhD courses and accomplish 20 credits in the end of my first year and because I did not yet complete that since I got lazy in the first months I am now in a rush to get the bloody credits.

This all story is to tell you that what I always thought that would be the expression "to put the cherry on top of the cake" is actually a WRONG english translation of a portuguese proverb being just a plain translation word by word whereas proverb wise is riscky and mostly of the times it doesnt work!
In fact, and during the workshop of today, the teacher used the RIGHT version of that expression in good english coming with, "and that is brilliant therefore is such as icing on the cake!" Suddenly some light came into my brain and then I remembered that last time I used the expression "the cherry on top of the cake", my house mate, Chris didn’t seem to quite understand me.. and now I know! Its a shame they dont teach us this at school.. grrrrr

1 comment:

ganda said...

Maybe the brits don't like cherrys on the top of the cakes...