Monday 29 September 2008

Street wall revolting writting or hanging fish for drying, which is one is more impressive?

Today I am posting photos very different then those I previously posted from my great holiday in Greece but they require a second of your attention.

The first is a wall where someone wrote something really revolting such as 'Antes ABORTO que vidas de merda (translating because this was in Lisbon, Portugal): "Better ABORTION than shity lifes".. I saw this while I was driving around Lisbon two months ago during my holiday in Portugal. There was some traffic as usual and it left me time to read the walls and it brought me a mix of a laugh with drama because of course whoever wrote that is definitely very revolted and disappointed..
I also inform the readers that Abortion was illegal in Portugal until march 2007 where before any woman could not legally decide to have a baby or not under penalty of being convicted of a crime (with all its consequences included.. like prison p.e.). Unlike mostly all the countries in Europe with exception of Malta, Portugal have kept this old law until the last year and the law was changed by a national referendum. It was the second time the government gave people the chance to decide and in the first one (2002??) people rejected to change the law (Meanwhile a lot of new/fresh mentalities arisen!)


The second photo I took when I was walking around Ericeira, also during the same holiday time. Me and my family went for a little trip around Lisbon to spend a very nice sunny Portuguese Sunday (It doesnt happen in England anyway dont try to remember one). Ericeira is a very nice place, situated near the coast with awesome views over the ocean. It is a small piscatorial village therefore there is a lot of very fresh and good fish and plenty of good places to eat. "Raia" is a very popular fish on that region but what I didnt know and quite surprised me, given rise to the reason of this photo and comment was that people dries "Raia" fishes such like clothes by hanging them out! There were several houses with these fishes hanging like t-shirts in cloth ropes placed on the windows! Strange, funny and smelly..

No comments: