Thursday 11 December 2008

The end of the first road

Tomorrow is the last day before the first road in my PhD life gets to an end. 9 months since I started are now gone. I thought this deserves a quick post to express my feelings. In January 2009 I will start a sort of a new era, not that I have passed the first check point named the first year viva, but I have now finally my ideas organized, the aims are defined so the way I look at science now is completely different: for good and for bad..
So, I feel more confident about me as a professional but a lot more realistic, therefore I know now that anything I do will never be a great contribution but just a tiny one.. :(
I feel that from now on it will get harder and more difficult since the demands are getting high - quality of the results and data, ideas, suggestions, publications, anything counts!
I feel I did a lot of mistakes until now but I know pretty much everyone gets to do that.. it just because when one starts the PhD feels that knows what to do and everything seems fine, motivation is on top and enthusiasm glitters all over.. after a while several questions arise and a lot of confusion too so it becomes messy and people question if its worth to continue since they are usually very lost. I do think I found myself now, (hopefully) it will alright :)

The report is done, didnt manage to bind the three copies I have to hand out, but I am taking them home with me that tomorrow morning I can do it before coming to the morning meeting about mathematical modelling and kinetics... the end of this first chapter, the begging of a long high way...

No comments: