Thursday 30 October 2008

Chronicles of the (re)discovery of the (GREAT) all times' classics

Yesterday, and not only yesterday, it happens every time I am with someone who has got a really vast musical culture, I felt really dull. The reason is just because I actually think I lack quite a lot of musical knowledge. It is not that I dont know a lot of songs and artists, not that I dont like music, because I love it and all parts of my life have great soundtracks but it just seems that I dont memorize very well either the lyrics or the artists or bands' names or actually I perhaps didnt spend a fairly good time listening to them! Maybe I just listened to the radio some time or it was at a friends' place, in the car, in a party or in a random concert.. but not in my walkman, Discman, mp3 player or i-pod (I havent got one yet, please dont make fun of me)..
Maybe I did not used to carry any of these sort of device with me.. (thats quite true.. although I have got them all).. Nevertheless, dont take me wrong, I listen to music at least once a day, all days of my life, therefore I do know a lot of music but havent got much selectivity, if thats the word, or for instance I cant really tell you my all time favourite band, my favourite song, my current favourite band.. etc etc.. I could make a massive list of bands I like, but I cant promisse I would know a lot about them.. and the worst is that I like a lot of stuff that I dont know the name!

Yesterday, one of these persons who knows a LOT about music, in this case I would repeat, really a lot .. got me into a very nice "trip" (with the help of YOUTUBE - this so much nice tool, I cant believe the humanity survived 10 thousand years without it..) through what everyone knows as the classics, those songs that mostly everyone can sing at least the refrain, mostly everyone likes it, and it perfectly fits with some point in one's life!

Obviously or not, BUT in fact I knew over 95% of the songs besides I just realized that most of them I had no idea about the song's name and not even the singer! I just thought that was pretty shameful and embarrassing being 24 and neglecting all this information! OMG!
The funniest thing was that the beginning of the saga through the old time best classics ever did not start with a proper classic but with a song that is suddenly now playing in my head (Thanks!) and that I find appropriated to use as the great beginning for this chronics about the all times classics!

So expect me to publish that really romantic song from the 80s or that 90s dance floor hit but today, I am going to leave you with... this one:



So Gosto de ti, Porque?
Nao sei
Mas tou bem assim
e tu tambem ;)

Its not a brilliant song (At all!), but it gave place to a brilliant time! A very good time to share and burn a very nice CD (I hope I will do)!

Have fun! (I am writing up my first year PhD report, dont expect me to make much sense ;)

No comments: