Wednesday 25 March 2009

Pips go auctions?!

I have to share my experience of today's morning when me and Pedro decided to go to an auction here in Nottingham, but in the most dodgy area of Nottingham, by the way.. I havent been to an auction before, until today the closest thing to an auction I saw was the bids on ebay.. lolol so obviously I was not familiar with that at all, and thats why I probably went there, more in response to my curiosity than just to buy something. In fact I didnt spent a cent in there... but I am quite sure I could have done good business today, the offers are great, I should go back there with more time, like the whole day off!

Basically, after 10 minutes at Cripps health centre in the university, to take the stitches out of my forehead (consequence of my last trip to the snow), me and Pedro took a taxi to this place called John Pye Auctions in Radford. I got to know that through a friend that bought there a tv set some time ago but that place is apparently very popular, busy and known such that as soon as we got there it was full of people.

Before the auction starts people can look around the stocks. The reason why I went was to buy a tv, an LCD tv to put in our very nice living room. Basically we feel a bit poor with all the money we spent recently so any bargain is welcome! Nevertheless our budget was too low...

From the stocks we got interested in 7 or 8 LCDs. As soon as the auction started,
(late! I was really surprised!) we realized that we were surrounded by very strange people (actually I realized that as soon as we arrived but both of us just commented on that while sitting waiting for the bids to start). Mostly everyone was there purely for business reasons rather than buying for personal use, therefore everyone was very professional when bidding and we were like tw0 UFOs there..

And that was it, "our" LCDs were sold for about £200 and we didnt want to pay more than £100.. pity we still dont have the tv but I think we will just buy a new one sooner or later.

We keep the experience of being in an auction, real one, with that guy speaking out loud the prices and everyone seems to be hidden while bidding, I could actually hardly see who was bidding.. the gestures were too smooth.. like they were a bit embarrassed for being there! Like they felt they were committing a crime.. and there were those people on the phone, bidding for someone even more hidden... and there were those people that bought a lot of stuff, clearly they have a big business buying there to sell somewhere else..

Oh well, I should go back there one day, perhaps I could do a fortune out of it, but I am too afraid of high investment.. so back on my PhD life everything is calm and fine, I feel lazy today, I didnt want to come but ... thats life...
I feel I should get more fun :)

2 comments:

ganda said...

just for the record, that area is not the most dodgy area of nottingham.

I have been to those auctions many times :) I bought my tv there. Flat screen, but no LCD heheh :) Good luck next time :)

Pippa said...

LOL, most dodgy for me! I know you have been there, you were the friend I was talking about, was a nice experience, but they dont have normal tv's anymore, just LCDs and not that cheap (at least for my pocket :( lolol

I will go there again I think! I didnt have time to stay after the TVs but it must be worth to spend the day there, there were many little things I could buy!